Department of Business Administration, Public & Nonprofit Management
University of Mannheim, Germany
Department of Applied Economics
Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Belgium
University of Edinburgh Business School, UK
Per Stale KNARDAL
Inger Johanne PETTERSEN
NTNU Business School
Norwegian University of Science and Technology
The Third Sector - broadly defined as the voluntary, charitable, co-operative, religious, health and educational organisations which sit outside the confines of the private (‘profit’) and public sectors - is facing a rapidly changing environment which challenges its efficient management and continuation. This research workshop seeks to examine current influences on the effective operation of these nonprofit organisations (NPOs). We are interested in high-quality research papers which address the managerial challenges facing this sector. The organisers are particularly interested in the results of managerial, economic and inter-disciplinary approaches.
This workshop will be of interest not only to researchers active in this area, but also to policy-makers, senior managers and practitioners from all disciplines.
The purpose of the workshop ‘The challenges of managing the third sector’ is to present and discuss in a stimulating academic environment high-quality research papers exploring contemporary challenges in managing all kinds of nonprofit organisations (NPOs).
Topics of potential interest include, but are not limited to:
• Policy constraints on managing
• Building and maintaining legitimacy and trust
• Objectives, performance measurement and impact
• Financial constraints and fundraising
• Appropriate governance models
• The dangers of mission drift
• The role and managerial challenges of NPOs in transition countries
• Ethical issues versus commercialisation of NPOs and commodification of their services
• The partnership between NPOs and business firms: sponsoring, strategic alliances and cause-related marketing
• The partnership between NPOs and public organisations: joined-up planning and delivery in the transformation of public welfare
• Social entrepreneurship and the emergence of social enterprises
• Reason and consequences of the introduction of private sector managerial techniques
• Engaging, organising and managing people in NPOs
• The role of accounting and financial measures in NPOs
• Vision, strategy making and strategising
• Marketing management in NPOs
• Inter-disciplinary approaches to interpret the challenges of the sector
• Hybridity and atypical organisations such as social movements.
There are no particular paper requirements, but they should not be too long (preferably 8,000 words).
Workshop dinner departure (7 PM)
Submission of full papers: New deadline 18 March 2019
Notification: as of 29 March 2019
Registration of authors: 30 April 2019
Final papers: 18 May 2019
A selection of the best papers will be eligible for submission to a special issue of the Journal of Accounting & Organizational Change (Guest editors Bernd Helmig, Marc Jegers, Irvine Lapsley, Per Stale Knardal, Inger Johanne Pettersen). More information will be offered during the workshop.
This journal is indexed here http://www.emeraldgrouppublishing.com/products/journals/author_guidelines.htm?id=jaoc and also https://www.researchgate.net/journal/1832-5912_Journal_of_Accounting_Organizational_Change
NTNU Business School
NORWAY - For a campus map click here.
For accommodation and things to do in the city click here
Recommended hotel – Radisson Blu Royal Garden - Book here
How to reach Trondheim click here.
The fees include participation to the workshop, documents, lunches, the workshop dinner, welcome reception and morning and afternoon refreshments.
|For participants affiliated with an institution that is member or associate member of the EIASM's
|300,00 € (VAT Exempt)|
|For participants coming from another academic institution
||390,00 € (VAT Exempt)|
Cancellations made before May 6, 2019 will be reimbursed minus 20% of the total fee. No reimbursement will be possible after that date.
Payments should be made by :
- The following credit cards: Visa or Eurocard/Mastercard/Access
Ms. Cristina Setyar - EIASM Conference Manager
PASSAGE DU NORD - 19 - 1000 BRUSSELS - BELGIUM
Tel: +32 2 226 66 69 - Fax: +32 2 512 19 29