Riccardo VIGANÓ & Donata MUSSOLINO
(University of Naples Federico II, Italy; Second University of Naples, Italy)
Leif MELIN & Mattias NORDQVIST
(Jönköping International Business School, Sweden)
(Wilfried Laurier University, Canada)
(Bocconi University, Italy)
Guido CORBETTA (discussant)
(Bocconi University, Italy)
Family business research has grown fast in both scale and scope over the past decade. Interestingly, most of the recent comparative research between family and non-family firms has concluded that family firms outperform non-family firms on many performance ratios. Naturally, this result puts a positive image on family firms that were not as much considered previously. These findings deserve more research and analysis to understand and disentangle the sources of family firm’s competitiveness.
The three first workshops held in Jönköping in 2005 and 2007 and in Nice in 2006 gave us a new arena for gathering and discussing current research on the management of family firms. This fourth workshop intends to build on the success of the earlier workshops and further expand the horizon for future research on the broad topic if family firm management. We hope that it will be a unique opportunity for researchers to share their experiences, give feedback on each other’s work and to form new research collaborations. In short, we aim to strengthen family firm research, and thereby contribute to the development of knowledge in family firm management and development. The workshop has a tradition to attract well-known scholars from related fields to share their interests and perspectives on family firm management. The first workshop featured Professor David Whetten, the second Professor Danny Miller and Isabelle LeBreton-Miller and the third Professors Tom Lumpkin and Bill Schulze. We intend to invite key note speakers of equal calibre for the 2008 workshop.
CLICK HERE to download the academic programme.
Please download here the practical information related to workshop dinners, transportation possibilities etc.
For a detailed map of the venues please go to PRACTICALITIES.
Revised versions of the best papers presented at the conference, addressing the special theme "Management and Governance in Family Firms", will be invited for publication in a special issue of the Journal of Management and Governance.
Click HERE for details.
Abstracts should be submitted by 15th February, 2008.
Authors will be notified of the chairs’ decisions by 15th March, 2008.
Full Papers are due by 8th May, 2008.
Please click HERE to download the list of accepted papers.
“Family firms” are defined as family-owned or family managed firms. Only papers dealing with at least one of these populations are welcomed
Four categories of research are of interest for the workshop:
Conceptual and empirical research focusing on the specific sub-theme of “Management and Governance in Family Firms”. Possible topics include but are not limited to:
• National corporate governance systems
• The role of the board
• Accounting practices
• Management control
• Non-family CEO
• The relationship between the board and top management
• Strategic management
• Next generation leadership
• The role of family councils and constitutions
Literature reviews focusing on the family business field: state-of-the-art papers that allow discussing the knowledge already acquired and the main challenges to address in future research. Review papers can either a) focus on a main theme within the general family business field, such as corporate governance, strategic management, human resource management, corporate entrepreneurship, gender or professional management etc or b) focus on the relevance of a specific theory to the study of family firm, such as RBV, agency, social networks, resource dependence, institutionalism, critical management, culture or stewardship to only name a few.
Papers that use the family firm context for contributing to the development of general management concepts and theories. Comparisons between family and non-family firms, but also between different types of family firms should belong to this category.
Empirical research focusing on a topics specific to family firms. For instance:
- survival and performance over generations;
- specific competitive advantages of family-firms;
- interactions between the family and the firm and their impact on management;
- governance, decision-making and strategizing processes at the top;
- succession of ownership and leadership.
The cover page should be a separate sheet to include the following information:
- The title of the proposal.
- Each author's name, his/her affiliation, address, telephone, fax and email.
The body of each proposal is an abstract of 1,5-2 pages (cover page not included).
All proposals should be single spaced, typed no smaller than 11 point font.
In the abstract, four categories of information must be clearly highlighted:
- the purpose / topic of the research
- the research method
- the theories used
- the contribution of the research
Click HERE for a detailed map indicating the venues of different workshop activities.
The workshop will be held at the Faculty of Economics, University of Naples Federico II, Naples, Italy.
The Faculty of Economics, University of Naples Federico II, is located in Monte S.Angelo, via Cinthia, Fuorigrotta, Naples and it is easily connected.
ACCOMMODATION : Click HERE for a list of recommended Hotels.
HOW TO REACH THE WORKSHOP LOCATION :
From the central railway station (Piazza Garibaldi):
- Option 1: take the metro (line 2: Gianturco-Pozzuoli), Pozzuoli direction, stop in Campi Flegrei; then, outside the metro station, take one of the following bus: CU, 180, C15, C7; stop in via Cinthia (Complesso Universitario Monte Sant’Angelo);
- Option 2: in the main square of the railway station, take the bus 152, stop in Piazzale Tecchio, and take one of the following bus: CU, 180, C15, C7; stop in via Cinthia (Complesso Universitario Monte Sant’Angelo).
From the Naples Capodichino airport:
- Option (a): take the bus Alibus, stop in Piazza Garibaldi and follow the path of the previous section (option 1 or 2);
- Option (b): take a taxi. It takes 15 minutes (the price is about 20 €).
Taxi telephone number: +39 081 5564444 or +39 081 5515151
From the highway:
- From the North: after the A1 highway, take Tangenziale of Naples (A56), then take the exit “Fuorigrotta”; follow the direction “Monte Sant’Angelo” and after 250 m the Faculty of Economics, University of Naples Federico II, is on the left;
- From the South: after the A3 highway, take Tangenziale of Naples (A56), then take the exit “Fuorigrotta”; follow the direction “Monte Sant’Angelo” and after 250 m the Faculty of Economics, University of Naples Federico II, is on the left.
HOW TO REACH NAPLES :
The city of Naples is situated at 230 km south from Rome.
Naples has an one international airport, called Capodichino.
The main airline companies for Naples Capodichino airport are:
Naples is easily connected also with Rome Fiumicino airport taking 2 trains:
Trenitalia web site: http://www.ferroviedellostato.it/
- the Leonardo, from Rome Fiumicino to Roma Termini train station (and viceversa), each half and hour (check on the website for more information: http://www.adr.it/content.asp?SUBC=1361&L=3&IDMEN=731)
- a train from Roma Termini to Naples central station (check on the website for more information: www.ferroviedellostato.it )
City of Naples : http://www.inaples.it/
Local Weather: http://www.italy-weather-and-maps.com/weather/NA/
Currency Convertor: http://www.x-rates.com/calculator.html
CONFERENCE FEES :
|For participants affiliated with an institution that is member or associate member of the EIASM's
|300 € (Exclusive of VAT)
|For participants coming from another academic institution
||350 € (Exclusive of VAT)
Cancellations made before May 26, 2008 will be reimbursed minus 20% of the total fee. No reimbursement will be possible after that date.
Payments should be made by :
- The following credit cards: Visa or Eurocard/Mastercard/Access
Ms. Cristina Setyar - EIASM Conference Manager
PLACE DE BROUCKÈRE-PLEIN - 31 - 1000 BRUSSELS - BELGIUM
Tel: +32 2 226 66 69 - Fax: +32 2 512 19 29