Alejandro Escribá-Esteve ( University of Valencia, Spain) AlessandroMinichilli (Bocconi University, Italy)
Zeki Simsek(University of Connecticut, USA) Top management team research in small-to-medium sized firms: Exploring some challenges and opportunities
Strategic Leadership and Business Strategy Research in Europe: current and future trends Participants Kees van Veen (Groningen University, Netherlands) Winfried Ruigrok (St. Gallen University, Switzerland) Monika Hamori (Instituto de Empresa, Spain)
Top managers are considered the most influential actors in the firms’ strategic behaviour. The current financial and economic crisis has increased the need for firms to respond and adapt to the environmental challenges in order to deal with one of the most turbulent and hostile contexts of the last decades. But, how do Top Managers shape their firms’ strategies to face this situation? Which type of top management teams perform better within complex contexts? What factors explain the strategic adaptation capability of top managers?
The objectives of this workshop are threefold: (1) to analyse the state of the art on Top Management Teams’ & Strategy Research, paying special attention to the European perspective; (2) to devise the future avenues for research on these topics; and (3) to generate opportunities for collaboration between TMT researchers.
Three types of research are of interest for this workshop:
1) Conceptual and empirical research focusing on the special theme “Top Management Teams & firms’ strategies research: responses & adaptability in turbulent times”. Special attention is given to a) papers that adopt a European perspective; and b) studies that combine different theoretical perspectives to explain the antecedents and consequences of TMTs strategic behaviour.
2) Literature reviews and state-of-the-art papers focusing in the Top Management Teams field, which will encourage the debate about the knowledge already acquired and the main issues to address in future research. Review papers may focus either on a) any key issue within the TMT field, b) the relevance of a specific theory to the analysis of antecedents or consequences of TMTs characteristics and strategic behaviours, c) methodological problems and challenges for TMT & Strategy research
3) Empirical papers focused on any issue specific to Top Management Teams, such as: TMT motivational and cognitive bases; TMT dynamics and behaviour; Interactions and power relations between TMT and other stakeholders; Executive compensation, turnover and succession; contextualization of upper echelons; influence of institutional issues on TMT formation, composition and behaviour; among others.
Abstract submission The abstract should contain a cover page and the body of the proposal (one document) The body of the proposal will be an abstract of 2-3 pages (cover page not included). Proposals will be single spaced, font larger that 11 point font.
The abstract must clearly highlight the following issues:
- Purpose/Topic of the research
- Research method
- Theories used
- Contribution of the research The cover page must include:
- The title of the proposal
- Authors’ names, affiliations, address, telephone, fax and e-mail
Abstract Submission: Thursday, 10 December 2009 Author Notification: Friday, 18 December 2009 Final Paper Submission:Monday, 1 March 2010
SPECIAL ISSUE OF ISMO
The best papers presented in the workshop will be eligible to be included in a special issue of International Studies of Management & Organization about "TOP MANAGEMENT TEAMS & BUSINESS STRATEGY RESEARCH: RESPONSES AND ADAPTABILITY IN TURBULENT TIMES."
International Studies of Management & Organization has been published by M.E. Sharpe, Inc. since 1971. Papers published in ISMO are widely read and disseminated. We are proud to note that articles in ISMO are accessed more frequently than any other of M.E. Sharpe's distinguished journals in Management, Economics, and Public Policy
ISMO’s purpose is to make non-U.S. scholarly contributions known to English-reading academic audiences around the world. ISMO publishes four issues every year and each includes about 5-6 articles. It is available in hard copy and on-line form to hundreds of libraries worldwide. The articles in ISMO are also abstracted in ABI/Inform.
Recent issues have focused on topics such as Language and Communication in International Management, Corporate Political Strategy, Creativity in Organizations and Mobilizing and Managing the Environment.
The workshop will be held at: Faculty of Economics
Av. de los Naranjos s/n
1.1 NH VILLACARLOS 3* 1.2 KRIS CONSUL DEL MAR 3* 1.3 SILKEN PUERTA DE VALENCIA 4* 1.4 HOTEL AYRE ASTORIA 4* (City Center)
To book one of these hotels at the rates mentioned please contact: VIAJES EL CORTE INGLÉS, S.A. Avda Blasco Ibáñez, 51 Dcha
46021 Valencia (Spain)
Tel: 0034 96 393 71 78
Fax.: 0034 96 361 66 05 email@example.com
2 UNIVERSITY STUDENTS RESIDENCE 'DAMIA BONET'
(Prices per night. Breakfast not included. No breakfast service)
Regular Room (individual) 40,05€
Suite Room. Double room individual use: 73,35€
Click here for the booking form.
CLICK HERE for a map with the location of the hotels mentioned above.
Fees will be posted shortly
Cancellations made before March 2, 2010 will be reimbursed minus 20% of the total fee. No reimbursement will be possible after that date.
Payments should be made by :
The following credit cards: Visa or Eurocard/Mastercard/Access