For full information on the EDEN concept and benefits, please click here.
The programme in Accounting will include seminars on the following topics :
- Analytical Accounting Research
- Audit Research
- Qualitative Research in Accounting (former Case-Based Research in Management Accounting)
- Empirical Financial Accounting Research
- Intangibles, Intellectual Capital & Value Creation
- Producing and Evaluating Knowledge in Management Accounting
- Quantitative Empirical Research in Management Accounting
At EIASM, the necessary actions and precautions are being taken to ensure a safe environment for our activities, faculty and participants.
The EDEN DOCTORAL SEMINAR ON QUALITATIVE RESEARCH IN ACCOUNTING is currently scheduled in ONLINE FORMAT on May 3-7, 2021.
|PROGRAMME COORDINATOR & FACULTY
Jan Mouritsen, Copenhagen Business School, Denmark (Programme Coordinator)
Claire Dambrin, ESCP Europe Paris, France
Andrea Mennicken, London School of Economics, U.K.
Martin Messner, University of Innsbruck, Austria
This EDEN seminar focuses on the craft of conducting qualitative research in accounting. Historically, qualitative research has often been about management accounting but increasingly there are qualitative studies of auditing and financial accounting.
The EDEN seminar in qualitative accounting research raises a series of practical concerns that qualitative researchers face when designing their research program. The seminar will discuss the following themes:
- What kind of knowledge can qualitative research produce?
- What is the role of theory in conducting qualitative research?
- How do researchers use methods such as interviews and document analysis?
- How do qualitative researchers get in, get on, and get out of research sites?
- How do researchers write up qualitative materials?
- What ethical dilemmas does qualitative research raise?
- How do reviewers and journals evaluate qualitative research?
These questions, and others produced in interaction between faculty and PhD students, will inform the seminar under the guidance of an international faculty who have significant experience in conducting and publishing qualitative research both in management accounting and in auditing and financial accounting. They are able to provide examples from their own work and as they also sit on the boards of international journals they can also provide insights into the reviewing process.
The EDEN seminar provides awareness of the opportunities when doing qualitative research so that PhD students can make choices about conducting research on the one side. On the other side it also identifies the skills and competencies necessary to undertake qualitative research.
Qualitative research is a broad approach and the EDEN seminar will address different methodologies, different types of qualitative research, different aspects of empirical work, issues regarding collecting and analyzing empirical materials, questions about theorizing and issues relating to ethics. The seminar will explore these issues with the help of pre-readings, lectures, group work, presentations and discussions.
PhD students will present their research and receive feedback from faculty and other participants
Full attendance is required to obtain the certificate.
4 ECTS will be assigned upon completion of the seminar.
Interested doctoral students should register online (and add the required documents) no later than March 1, 2021. Besides doctoral students, other researchers may participate. The number of participants will be limited to create a stimulating environment. The selection among the applicants will be conducted by the Institute’s Faculty. They will review the following documents which should necessarily complement each application form:
- the applicant’s curriculum vitae demonstrating his/her capabilities of doing research ;
- a letter of recommendation of his/her local faculty supporting the application ;
- a two-page description of his/her doctoral research, indicating the general objectives.
TThe participation fee is 900 € (VAT exempt). This fee includes participation to the seminar, the documents.
The Institute offers a substantial reduction of the participation fee per member institution. Scholarships are strictly limited to students coming from an EIASM Institutional Member (the Academic Council). Allocation of the scholarships is entirely at the discretion of the European Institute.
Cancellations made before April 10, 2021 will be reimbursed with 10% deduction of the total fee. No reimbursement will be possible after this date.
TIME AND LOCATION
The seminar will be held ONLINE
The programme will start on May 3, 2021 and is scheduled to end May 7, 2021
TO APPLY CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW.
For more information, please contact:
The EDEN Team
EIASM - Rue FOSSÉ AUX LOUPS - 38 - BOX 3 - 1000 BRUSSELS - BELGIUM
Tel: +32 2 226 66 69