University of Hasselt, Belgium
Wim VOORDECKERS & Tensie STEIJVERS
(Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation (KIZOK), Hasselt University, Belgium)
Leif MELIN & Mattias NORDQVIST
(Center for Family Enterprise and Ownership, Jönköping International Business School, Sweden)
Michael A. Hitt, Distinguished Professor, Texas A&M University
'Managing Family Firm Resources in Dynamic Environments'
Carlo Salvato, Associate Professor, Bocconi University
'Dynamic Capabilities in Family Businesses'
Family business research has grown fast in both scale and scope over the past decade. Interestingly, most of the recent comparative research between family and non-family firms has concluded that family firms outperform non-family firms on many performance ratios. Naturally, this result puts a positive image on family firms that were not as much considered previously. These findings deserve more research and analysis to understand and disentangle the sources of family firm’s competitiveness.
After four successful scientific events in 2005 & 2007 (Jönköping), 2006 (Nice) and 2008 (Naples), the EIASM Workshop on Family Firm Management Research is becoming one of the most important venues for gathering and discussing current research on the management of family firms in Europe. This fifth workshop intends to build on the success of the earlier workshops and further expand the horizon for future research on the broad topic of family firm management. We hope that it will be a unique opportunity for researchers to share their experiences, give feedback on each other’s work and to form new research collaborations. In short, we aim to strengthen family firm research, and thereby contribute to the development of knowledge in family firm management and development. The workshop has a tradition to attract well-known scholars from related fields to share their interests and perspectives on family firm management.
Please click here for the programme of the event.
The editors of Family Business Review will be available for one-to-one meetings aimed at discussing potential FBR submissions.
|IFERA AWARD FOR THE BEST RESEARCH PAPER
The International Family Enterprise Research Academy - IFERA will grant an Award for the best research paper (which involves a complimentary membership for one year, and free registration at the next IFERA Cyprus 2009, World Family Business Conference).
Special theme “Resources and capabilities in family business”
“Family firms” are defined as family-owned or family managed firms. Only papers dealing with at least one of these populations are welcomed
Four categories of research are of interest for the workshop:
1) Conceptual and empirical research focusing on the special theme “Resources and capabilities in family business”. Research that combines the resource-based view of the firm (RBV) with family business issues are encouraged. Special attention is given to a) papers that apply, fit with and/or go beyond the RBV using family business contexts or b) papers that use the RBV to understand how specific forms of ‘capital’ (human capital, social capital, family capital, etc.) and their combinations can explain family firm’s performance, c) papers that fit with and/or go beyond the dynamic capabilities approach using family business contexts, and d) papers that explore the relations between dynamic capabilities in family firms and other variables such as knowledge, performance, entrepreneurship and culture.
2) Literature reviews focusing on the family business field: state-of-the-art papers that allow discussing the knowledge already acquired and the main challenges to address in future research. Review papers can either a) focus on a main theme within the general family business field, such as corporate governance, strategic management, human resource management, corporate entrepreneurship, gender or professional management etc or b) focus on the relevance of a specific theory to the study of family firm, such as RBV, agency, social networks, resource dependence, institutionalism, critical management, culture or stewardship to only name a few.
3) Papers that use the family firm context for contributing to the development of general management concepts and theories. Comparisons between family and non-family firms, but also between different types of family firms should belong to this category.
4) Empirical research focusing on a topics specific to family firms. For instance:
- survival and performance over generations;
- financing and accounting issues in family firms.
- specific competitive advantages of family-firms;
- interactions between the family and the firm and their impact on management;
- governance, decision-making and strategizing processes at the top;
- succession of ownership and leadership.
The cover page should be a separate sheet to include the following information:
- The title of the proposal.
- Each author's name, his/her affiliation, address, telephone, fax and email.
The body of each proposal is an abstract of 1,5-2 pages (cover page not included).
All proposals should be single spaced, typed no smaller than 11 point font.
In the abstract, four categories of information must be clearly highlighted:
- the purpose / topic of the research
- the research method
- the theories used
- the contribution of the research
Deadline for abstracts: 1 March 2009
Author's notification: 13 March 2009
Deadline Final Papers: 7 May 2009
The conference will take place at the University of Hasselt, Belgium.
Joining instructions are available on http://www.uhasselt.be/english/algemeen/graf_situering.asp
Click here for the train schedule - Brussels Airport Zaventem - Hasselt. Details about your journey - CLICK HERE
For more information about Belgian trains go to www.sncb.be
LIST OF RECOMMENDED HOTELS
In order to receive the special rates mentioned please use the code EIASM in your communication with the selected hotel.Please note that due to other conferences organised in Hasselt at that time we recommend that you book your room in due time.
HOTEL EXPRESS BY HOLIDAY INN HASSELT*** (89 rooms) (rates available until 15 May 2009)
phone +32 11 37 93 00 - fax +32 11 37 93 01
email@example.com - www.hiexpress.com/exhasselt
-single room from € 72,00 - -double room from € 72,00 (Prices are breakfast and taxes included)
HOTEL HOLIDAY INN HASSELT**** (107 rooms) (rates available until 15 May 2009)
phone +32 11 24 22 00 - fax +32 11 22 39 35
firstname.lastname@example.org - www.holiday-inn.com/hasseltbel
-single room from € 110,00 - -double room from € 128,00 (Prices are breakfast and taxes included)
HOTEL IBIS HASSELT CENTRUM** (59 rooms) (rates available until 1 May 2009)
phone +32 11 23 11 11 - fax +32 11 24 33 23
H1456@accor.com - www.ibishotel.com
-single room from € 62,00 - -double room from € 73,00 (Prices are breakfast and taxes included)
BEST WESTERN HASSOTEL*** (rates available until 1 May 2009)
Sint-Jozefsstraat 2, B-3500 Hasselt
phone: +32 (0) 11 23 06 55 Fax: +32 (0) 11 22 94 77
email@example.com -- http://www.bestwestern.be/overview.asp?hotelid=35
- single room from € 77,00 - -double room from € 106,00 (Prices are breakfast and taxes included)
THE CITY OF HASSELT
For information about the city of Hasselt : http://www.hasselt.be/index.php?lang=en&rO=1
FEES include participation at the :
- workshop dinner
- morning and afternoon refreshments
Fees will be posted shortly
Cancellations made before May 22, 2009 will be reimbursed minus 20% of the total fee. No reimbursement will be possible after that date.
Payments should be made by :
- The following credit cards: Visa or Eurocard/Mastercard/Access
Ms. Cristina Setyar - EIASM Conference Manager
PASSAGE DU NORD - 19 - 1000 BRUSSELS - BELGIUM
Tel: +32 2 226 66 69 - Fax: +32 2 512 19 29